Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Pull up a chair


Sometimes people talk about “getting over” grief, but I don’t think that’s really possible.

When someone we love dies, grief doesn’t knock politely. It simply moves in. It sits in every room of the house. It waits at every holiday, every birthday, every empty chair. For the rest of our lives, it can feel like an intruder determined to make itself known.

Grief usually isn't sadness. For me, grief is a wicked, sprawling monster. From the very start I believe I told a friend that I would never feel any worse, but I would never feel any better. I have had lots of sweet counsel, and one sweet mama who lost her daughter way too young told me that I would never be myself again. She said I would learn to be a different person.

Grief was an attack. In reality, grief is still an attack.

Grief doesn't come carrying a handkerchief. It comes carrying weapons. It feels as though it has me surrounded with pitchforks and spears, slashing at my heart, opening wounds that never have time to heal before they are torn open again. Every memory becomes another cut. Every sunrise reminds me of another day to fight through without my son. Every ordinary sound has the power to ambush me. There are mornings when simply waking up feels like losing him all over again. I usually feel less like a grieving mom than a hostage.

I sense that grief has me locked in a cage with no door I can find. It deprives me of peace, steals my appetite for living, and whispers that nothing beautiful will really ever exist again. It isn’t content merely to make me cry. It seems determined to wear me down until there is nothing left of me but the memory of the girl I used to be.

For a long time, I believed my only choices were to fight grief valiantly or be defeated and killed by it.

Lately, however, another revelation has been quietly growing.

I am learning that grief isn’t leaving the building. What if, instead of trying to throw it out of the house every morning, I simply acknowledge that it has become a permanent resident?

Not a welcome one.

But a resident nonetheless.

So instead of meeting grief at the door with another battle, I imagine saying, 

“Well… You’re here again. Pull up a chair.

“Let’s have a cup of coffee. Let’s sit on the porch together. Let’s watch the trees. You don’t have to torture me today. You don’t have to reopen every wound, but we can simply remember.


“We can remember my daddy’s insulators and the delight they brought him.

“We can remember my mom's celebrations and ordinary afternoons that never seemed extraordinary until they were gone.

“We can remember Gerred, not only in the moment I lost him, but in the thousands of moments I was blessed to have him.

“We can remember without being destroyed.”

As I have thought about this, I have realized something else. Grief didn’t move into my house alone. Love came with it. There is no grief without love. The deeper the love, the more brutal the grief. For a long time I only noticed the grief because it was the loud one. Grief demands attention. It fills every room with its dark sadness. Grief is loud and greedy… and ugly and thoughtless.

Love is quieter. Love is the beautiful inhabitant.

Love simply sits beside me. The truth is…  

I would never choose to love less just so I could hurt less.

Not for my parents. Not for my grandparents. Certainly not for my son. If the price of loving them deeply is carrying grief, then I would rather carry grief than erase a single memory.

Maybe that is what grief really is. Love with nowhere earthly left to go.

So maybe grief and I can learn to share the same porch. Some days we’ll sit in silence. Some days we will smile at an old memory. And some days we will cry. And perhaps, over time, grief will stop feeling like a stranger who invaded my home, and grief will become a quiet companion who reminds me, day after day, that I had people worth missing. Asking grief to pull up a chair is not a pleasant image. After the battle, it’s an act of quiet courage. To me, this is what survival is really about.

Sometimes people tell me that I am doing better. It’s OK my friends think that, but I don’t believe that can ever happen. I’m slowly learning to become a different person.

Although I have an uninvited heart guest, he is not alone.

A sweeter fact remains. Grief didn’t just waltz in and steal my happy life, and it can’t destroy a single memory. I am learning that Love never moved out. 







5 comments:

  1. The photo of you, your parents and your son is wonderful. The happiness in all your faces. What sweet smiles. May that be the guest in the other chair. The memories of these happy times. I cannot pretend to understand the depths of your sadness. Prayers for peace in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my Dear Gayla!! I've been on a wild click-ride from your comments on LAWN TEA to get here---tried every route we had COMMON, but couldn't make OPM open anything through Google. A dip into Miss Merry's house gave me your link on your comment there, and now I've finally found the key. And I wouldn't have missed this for the Life of Me.

    Such pure and true words---words of piercing and scalding times and thoughts and what-ifs. This has expressed every single emotion and thought, and somehow that print on this soft page conveyed a Sistership, pinky-swear, Southern-ACCENT Sorority Sister singing There's a Long, Long Trail A-Winding in our sincere sopranos---how alike we are, and how you've expressed everything but the cussin' I may have resorted to a time or two.

    Yesterday was the Sixth Anniversary of the day Chris whispered away from us, up there in the sweet pink sunshiny room with the six o'clock sun gilding his face. The expectedness of it calmed none of the grief---seventeen years from diagnosis to GONE, with the last two a long litany of hollow-headed rounds of the VA and hospice in the sitting room, visits from all the far-flung family into a house with hardly anywhere to receive them, since COVID drove us to paper plates and bedrooms cluttered with armchairs and all those precious paper goods.

    We've not yet gathered for the Celebration of LIFE--so many births and can't-flies and far-flung children in seven states with their own lives. His "BOX" sits on the little white cabinet-makes-a-desk which had had all his medicines and to-hand-needs in its drawers right to hand for his reaching---his combs and pocket-knives and Carmex and Tums and various small appliances and phones.
    I went out to the bell at 6:18---just me---Leah is in the step-down therapy unit of a delightful unit of the hospital---she has been in for several weeks, getting her walking back again---it's a fabulous place, with today all the wheelchairs and walkers gathered in a big bright atrium with a wonderful band, cocktail nibbles, and wine bar as I left to come home.
    But yesterday just me at the Bell to strike the years of his life---I do the peals for every birthday and our Anniversary
    (40 on the 12th this month---he was determined we'd celebrate it one more time) , plus for loved ones and sometimes strangers in the news with a peal for every school child gone too soon, or other hopeless, helpless events which can be remembered with our bell saying They Were Here.
    So with her not in the house, I stood out there in the big old stand of honeysuckle with that tarnishy-brass old bell and my favorite striking rock (I don't have the energy to actually swing the bell any more---it's 1300 pounds). And I counted the strikes, with I'm sure folks from the little shopping center out the back fence wondering what was going on---they've been known to gather, and sometimes I invite the neighbors to come share in the little ceremonies.

    Just know that every word, every true, slicing, maiming word rended from your heart has been taken in and swallowed and received at a time I was most needy---just to hear the TWAIN of your thoughts, the confessions of your heart---so like and so familiar in the hopeless hope of "coming to terms" and "keeping busy" and "taking your mind off of" we've heard and heard, and DAMMMMMIT!!
    I've sat here and typed past our prayer time---Leah and I treat 11:11 p.m. as the magical, mystical moment of the day, and link pinkies for a moment of prayer every night for Everybody We Love and Everybody who Loves Us. We've been texting that every bedtime and I came down without my phone. One day recently that saved our lives, perhaps, but that's a story for another day. Good night sweet young friend, and sweet dreams carry your heavies for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. You write so beautifully. Your insights are inspiring. Your photographs are so similar they could have been taken from my family albums. Thank you for this post and reminding me that Love never moved out. Best, Virginia xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have said many times to TG that, if things go as usually planned, and my children bury us, we will be mourned by some very fine people. You mourn several extremely fine people, Gayla, and though I'm sorry that it hurts so much, I'm glad you realize what a privilege that is. Many years ago my sister and I (for most of our lives up to that point we had not got along very well together) sat and looked for the first time at pictures of our father's funeral. Just a few old snapshots of his casket being carried to the grave. He had abandoned us as babies; we never knew him. Then he died at the age of 37. We sat in silence for a long time and then my sister said one word: loss. Loss -- both of things you never had and things that you did have -- is without a doubt the generator of more sadness and grief and despair than can ever be measured. So devastating, loss. The Lord has been faithful to meet me hundreds of times in my life, in this grief of my missing father. You should not have had to experience the loss of your precious son, or to carry this dreadful grief, and I'm sorry that it is your reality. But I like the way you process things and as I have told you before, you need to write a book. Love you my friend xoxo 🏴‍☠️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gayla, I want to thank you for coming to my blog, because it led me here. First, let me say I am very sorry for your loss. It matters little if it is recent or not -- it is still a powerful life event that shatters our hearts and souls. And yes, there is recovery, and yes, we get through it. But we never get over it, nor should we. Because loss that hurts so terribly is, as you noted, built on the foundation of love, and without that, what would we be? The remembering the good matters, the "sharing the same porch," as you said. When I facilitated youth grief groups, we would start each session with sharing a memory. It's important to remember all those sweet, special moments, often small but exquisite. Even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it, we are stronger than grief. Hard to remember at times, but yes, we are. Yes, YOU are. I send you all wishes for peace and healing, wishing you ease with every step you take.

    ReplyDelete

I’m Batman

Tomorrow—or today, depending on when I decide to post this—would be Gerred’s 45th birthday. I have been thinking about Batman and so much mo...